CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, April 4, 2008

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin

I read Pride and Prejudice this week with some hesitation, but I have to admit after just a few pages I was hooked. As much as I disliked Sense and Sensibility I loved Pride and Prejudice. Besides, what can one say about Darcy. To marry a rich, sensitive, handsome man. . . it is the perfect scenario. I guess it is really just another Cinderella story. Only the Cinderella in this story is her own woman. No need tell her how to live. She will do very well with or without a man in her life. I have seen the most recent movie but I would like to watch the BBC version. Anyway, I'm sure this will be a novel I will revisit on occasion, just for fun. I guess I will read something else by Jane Austin in a couple months. Might as well. Any suggestions.

8 comments:

Lindsey said...

I am actually reading Pride and Prejudice right now as well. I don't think I've read that book since my first year at SUU. I was thinking of reading Persuasion next...have you read that one?

Unknown said...

No, I haven't. Tell me when your done with Pride and Prejudice. Maybe we could do a big book club read of Persuasion. Though, I can't see how she could get any better than Pride and Prejudice. I just watched the four hour long BBC movie this week and loved it. My husband thinks I am a total geek.

Lindsey said...

At least you watched the BBC version and not Keira Knightley's version...she drives me nuts. YES! Let's do a big Persuasion-read!! I will let you know when I'm done with P&P!

Unknown said...

I have seen the Kiera Knightley version too. I agree, she is not a great actress. I just don't find her very believable. However, I may be in love with that actor who plays Darcy in that version. Don't tell my husband.

Kate said...

You and me both, Steph. I'm SOOO glad that you guys like this book - I've easily read it more than 10 times because I love it so much. Persuasion is good, but not great. If you want another I'm-falling-in-love-with-a-character-in-a-novel read, may I suggest "North and South" by Elizabeth Gaskell? It is soooo good, and Mr. Thornton is every big as yummy as Mr. Darcy. And the actor who plays him in the BBC movie is delish. I own the movie if you're interested.

Unknown said...

Are you going to be reading along with us Katie?

Kate said...

I'll try, if there's no time limit. :) I'm having trouble finding time to read lately, but we're going to San Diego at the end of next month. I can probably read in the car, if the twins cooperate!

Unknown said...

So, should we read North and South then? What do you say Lindsey?